Monday, February 18, 2013

Yosemite in February

So I had a three day weekend and decided to check out Yosemite again. This time was just for photography, no crazy winter camping! I stayed in Camp4 again and there were a few more people this time but it was still not crowded at all.

Wildcat Fall (I think)


Perhaps it was due to the better weather but this time there were probably 2-3 times more people than during my trip in January. I tend to like solitude so this takes some adjusting for me, but I met a few really nice people and had a great time.

Bridalveil Falls

I wanted to see some different places this time and as the snow was mostly gone I had the opportunity to do a few hikes.

Just below Yosemite Falls

I hiked up to the top of Upper Yosemite Falls, about 3000 feet of elevation gain in 3.5 miles, so pretty steep. Great views on the way up but I thought there would be a better view of the top of the falls at the viewing platform. There is if you crawl under the gaurd rail and look over the 3000 foot cliff. I am not that brave so I leave it to others to document that.

Upper Yosemite Falls with Half Dome


Before leaving the park I did a morning walk from Camp4 to Vernal Falls over to Mirror lake and back to camp. Ill admit I was a little disapointed as the path to Vernal Falls was closed before you could really see the falls. I could have ignored the sign but I am a good citizen :)

Vernal Fall (barely)





Mirror lake was frozen and snow covered, so no mirror.

Ice detail

But it was a nice walk, maybe 7 or 8 miles and a good way to get some excercise before driving back.

Cathedral Rock

I am not sure when the park will get really crowded, maybe April, when the snowmelt is going strong and all the falls are flowing fast. I like being able to just show up and camp in the valley without reservations but this will not last much longer. If I get a chance, I will try for another trip in March.

Yours Truly